Dry and cracked feet often go unnoticed in our daily lives even though it can cause some major issues. Cracked heels are unattractive as well as can be quite uncomfortable.
You might be encountering this condition for quite a few reasons. Perhaps you remain on hard surfaces the entire day. Maybe you are somewhat overweight. You may even neglect to saturate your feet as you do so on your body.
Regardless of the reason, returning the feet to their natural state is our duty. It’s something simple to achieve at home, however, it might take a couple of treatments.
This article will provide you some necessary information on what to do about dry cracked feet in order to help you get healthier skin.
Table Of Contents
Cause of Dry Cracked Feet
The primary indication of heel fissures is having spaces of dry, thickened skin, known as callouses, around the edge of your heel. As you walk, the fat cushion under your heel extends. This causes your callouses to break and crack.
Different actions that can cause broken heels to include:
- Standing for long, extended periods of time
- Walking around shoeless, or with open-back shoes
- Taking long, hot showers
- Utilizing soaps or shower gel that can strip your skin of regular oils
- Shoes that don’t fit as expected or support your heels
- Dry skin because of environment, like cold temperatures or low stickiness
In case you don’t saturate your feet consistently, they might dry out much quicker. Additionally, there are other medical causes that accompanying cracked heels:
- Vitamin deficiency
- Fungal infection
What Other Symptoms Can Accompany Cracked Heels?
Broken heels are noticeable as gaps in the skin on the heels. These may be joined by different manifestations, for example:
- Callus (dry, thick skin)
- Yellow or brown skin
Torment and inconvenience will appear when pressing actions are applied on the heel and other sides when resting.
If not treated properly, profound gaps can become tainted and may putrefy into ulceration or cellulitis, particularly in those with existing medical issues like diabetes.
The accompanying side effects highlight as follows:
- Expanding Feet
- Warm when touching
- Pain and agony upon contacting or applying pressure.
How To Prevent Cracked Heels
- Your footwear matters. If your heels are prone to cracking, look for shoes that fit well and support your heels. Wear shoes with a solid, wide heel that supports and cushions your heels whenever feasible.
- Open-back shoes, which often don’t give enough heel support flip-flops and sandals, might cause your feet to dry out
- Shoes with a height, narrow heel that can cause your heel to stretch outwards
- Avoid using footwear that is too tight
- Avoid standing still or sitting with your legs crossed for a really long time.
- Slather on thick foot cream in the evening and afterward cover your feet with socks to secure moisture.
- Assess your feet day by day, particularly if you have diabetes or other conditions that cause dry skin.
- Wear custom shoe embeds (orthotics) to pad your heel.
- Wear great quality or medical-proven cushioned socks.
- Use silicone heel cups to keep the heel saturated and assist with forestalling the heel cushion from extending.
- Drink a lot of water to remain hydrated.
- Utilize a pumice stone subsequent to showering a couple of times each week to assist with forestalling thickening skin. In any case, try not to eliminate calluses yourself if you have diabetes or neuropathy. You may incidentally make an injury and increase the chance of infection.
Treatments For Cracked Heels
Heel salves or thick moisturizer
The primary line of treatment for cracked heels is utilizing a heel moisturize lotion. These demulcents contain substances to moisturize, relax, and peel dead skin:
- Urea (Flexitol Heel Balm)
- Salicylic corrosive (Kerasal)
- Alpha-hydroxy acids (Amlactin)
- Saccharide isomerate
You can discover these heel demulcents over the counter at a pharmacy or on the web. Here is how you do it:
- Apply heel demulcent toward the beginning of the day to build skin flexibility before you start your day
- saturate your heel a few times each day
- wear shoes that secure your heel
Some heel lotions might cause minor stinging or bother. This is typical. Counsel your PCP if the medicine keeps on pestering you or causes extreme responses.
Serious instances of broken heels might require an original effectiveness salve or cream to assist with lessening irritation and reduce itching.
Drench and shed your feet
The skin around broken heels is regularly thicker and drier than the remainder of your skin.
This skin will in general crack when you apply pressure. Splashing and saturating your feet can help with this. Here are a few tips to do it properly:
- Keep your feet in soap water for as long as 20 minutes.
- Utilize a loofah, foot scrubber, or pumice stone to eliminate any hard, toughness.
- Tenderly wipe your feet off.
- Apply a heel analgesic or thick lotion to the influenced region.
- Apply oil jam over your feet to secure dampness. Put on socks to try not to spread any oil around.
- Try not to scour your feet when they’re dry. This expands your danger for harmed skin.
You can likewise take a stab at saturating heel sleeves. These have a comparable impact to foot drenches.
The sleeves resemble socks that contain restorative oils and nutrients to assist with treating your dry skin. You can discover them on Amazon here.
You can likewise apply fluid gauze to breaks to seal the injury and forestall diseases or further breaking.
This item comes as a shower, which implies you can approach your day without stressing over the wrap falling off. The fluid wrap is a decent choice for treating profound heel breaks that might drain.
Apply fluid swathe to perfect, dry skin. As the break recuperates, the covering is compelled to the skin’s surface. You can purchase this item without a solution at a pharmacy or on the web.
Nectar or honey might fill in as a characteristic solution for broken heels. As indicated by a 2012 survey, nectar has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties.
Examination shows that honey can help recuperate and purge wounds, and saturate the skin. You can utilize honey as a foot scour after a douse, or apply it as a foot cover for the time being.
Coconut oil has become extremely popular as of late and is utilized for various purposes. One such intention is mending dry and broken feet.
Wash your feet a long time prior to heading to sleep. Slather on coconut oil and put on a couple of clean, cotton socks.
Wash your feet in the first part of the day and dry them well. You can do this for a few days or until you are content with the manner in which your feet look.
On the off chance that you don’t have coconut oil, you can do exactly the same thing with olive oil.
***Read More: How to Stop Calluses? Cause, Symptoms and Treatment…
Spotless and dry your feet before you head to sleep. Apply mentholated rub to your feet and put on clean socks.
Take your socks off when you awaken and wash your feet in warm water. You will rehash this for a few days and the dry, unpleasant skin will ultimately strip away.
Treat yourself to a foot clean or, even better, get your accomplice to do it for you while you take a load off.
Fill a foot tub with warm water and a touch of fluid cleanser. Douse your feet for 20 minutes and afterward scour the dry regions with a pumice stone.
Flush your feet, wipe them off and apply your lotion. Put on socks and rest. Do this consistently until your feet are comfortable and become normal.
Warmth paraffin wax in the microwave. Blend it in with an equivalent measure of coconut oil and apply the cream to the cracks in your feet. Put on a couple of socks and rest.
When you are awake, wash and dry your feet. You should do this day by day for upwards of about fourteen days for the best outcomes.
***Read More: Why is My Big Toe Turning Inward? How to Cure Them?
Fill a foot tub with warm water and add a 1/2 cup of Epsom salt. Drench your feet for 10 to 20 minutes.
Clean the dry spaces of your feet with a pumice stone and afterward absorb Epsom salt and water for an additional 10 minutes.
Dry your feet. Rehash this consistently for as long as three days for extraordinarily delicate feet.
Try not to treat cracked heels alone in case they’re brought about by medical conditions (such as diabetes or pregnancy). Unique treatment from a podiatrist (foot specialist) might be required.
Serious instances of broken heels ought to likewise be assessed by a podiatrist, paying little mind to your clinical history. The specialist will recommend the best treatment for your circumstance.
If you still wonder what to do about dry cracked feet. You might have the option to mitigate the condition with over-the-counter or home cures like our post recommended.
See a specialist on the off chance that you have an extreme instance of broken heels or a hidden medical condition like diabetes. See a specialist forestall conceivably genuine intricacies.
In spite of the fact that your skin might give indications of progress after starting treatment, it might require a few days or weeks for the breaks to recuperate.
During and after this time, wear shoes that fit appropriately and practice legitimate foot care.